Community Bank, formerly known as Alton Savings Bank, was established September 22, 1915. The bank was one of two banks in Alton, Iowa and was the one that survived the Great Depression. Earl Kiernan, who began his banking career in 1912, moved to Alton in 1936 and became a loan officer at Alton Savings Bank. Earl's son, Max Kiernan, began his banking career in 1947, moved back to Alton in 1954 and also became a loan officer at the bank. Max's son Tom Kiernan began his banking career in 1973 and moved back to Alton in 1978. From 1978-1979 all three Kiernans worked at the bank at the same time. Today, Tom Kiernan is the third generation Kiernan to be President and Chairman of the Board of Directors.
In June of 1996 the bank was granted permission by the Iowa Division of Banking to open a branch office in Orange City, Iowa. On January 1, 1997, the Alton Savings Bank amended its Articles of Incorporation, which changed the name of the bank to "Community Bank". This name change was made to best reflect our ongoing commitment to Alton, Orange City and the surrounding communities. The Orange City branch was opened on December 1, 1997. We are happy to continue the strong tradition of this hometown family bank and also meet the growing need for more convenience and extended services.
At Community Bank we take pride in the fact that we develop long-term relationships with our customers and strive to help them succeed. We are committed to meeting and exceeding the financial needs of our clients.